VIPM 2018.0.0f2 does not detect LabVIEW 2019

I have installed LABVIEW 2019, and I followed the procedures to make sure VIPM can communicate with VIPM 2018.0.0f2:

https://support.jki.net/hc/en-us/articles/214135683-Resolving-issues-with-VIPM-connecting-to-LabVIEW

But, still I do not see LABVIEW 2019 listed within  the VIPM window:

image.png.e0ee9464fba71a34322e0af8e3b13fec.png

Any clue on how o solve this?

Thanks

• Like 3

Hello Jim,

It used to be that older versions of VIPM could connect to the newest versions of LABVIEW. 

Is there any particular reason why this changed?  This issue seems to have happened from the VIPM 2018 Version because it was a major update. Is this going to happen for all versions of VIPMs in the future?

The problem is that I have a licence for VIPM 2018, and now I can't use VIPM 2018  with LABVIEW 2019 (I won't be able to generate VIPC files without the licence).

thanks

Helcio

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Hi Helcio,

Yes, this happened in 2018. Our official statement about this is included in the release notes:

"In order to best support our customers and ensure LabVIEW compatibility, VIPM supports new versions of LabVIEW as they are released. There are many instances where older versions of VIPM do not work well with newer versions of LabVIEW, due to changes in where/how LabVIEW and its files get installed."

JKI has to provide support for each new version of LabVIEW as it's released, so we needed to align our support and releases with LabVIEW.

• Upvote 1

• 3 months later...
On 9/3/2019 at 12:48 AM, RogerG said:

Well, that is not good!!!😠

In this case, a free update for those who paid for VIPM PRO would only be fair!!!

Hi Roger. JKI has to do a lot of work to keep VIPM working well with newer versions of LabVIEW. I'm sorry that charging for support and major upgrades doesn't feel fair, yet we've got to keep the lights on. 💡

Hi Roger,

When you purchase VIPM Pro, it is a perpetual license. VIPM 2018 Pro will work with LabVIEW 2018 forever. However, if you purchase an upgrade to LabVIEW 2019 from NI, then you'll also need to purchase an upgrade to VIPM 2019 Pro.

It sounds like that feels unfair to you, and I'm sorry. As I mentioned, on JKI's side, it is investing effort to keep VIPM interoperable with new releases of LabVIEW (and Windows OS), so it seems reasonable to charge for VIPM Pro interoperability with newer releases of LabVIEW.  That's the world we live in, now -- things are changing constantly, and software vendors must progress to more of a subscription model, for new releases, to keep everything working correctly. The alternative is to be unprofitable and end of life a product or go out of business, which would be bad for the users who depend on the software.

I hope that makes sense and sorry if it still feels unfair. I long for simpler times, too.

-Jim

• 2 weeks later...