JKI Design Palette freezing when scrolling

ammouri

Just installed the design palette from VIPM and when i scroll down, LabVIEW freezes and i am forced to end its task. Check attached screen capture.

LV version: LabVIEW 2015 (32-bit)

I also noticed another weird behavior: if i open a project, the Design palette will open with it, but when i close the project, the design palette will remain open and will prevent the LabVIEW welcome screen from opening (can't browse recent document or create new projects). I can still however press ctrl-n to create a new VI...

Hi @ammouri.

Thanks for reporting these issues.

Just installed the design palette from VIPM and when i scroll down, LabVIEW freezes and i am forced to end its task. Check attached screen capture.

Are you able to use the Design Palette if you don't do any scrolling?  Or, does it tent to freeze after a certain period of time?  I'd like to know if the freeze is related to the scrolling, or if it's just happening regardless.

> I also noticed another weird behavior: if i open a project, the Design palette will open with it, but when i close the project, the design palette will remain open and will prevent the LabVIEW welcome screen from opening (can't browse recent document or create new projects). I can still however press ctrl-n to create a new VI...

Yes, we've had some other people report this, too. We're working on a fix. Thanks!

-Jim

Hi Jim

13 hours ago, Jim Kring said:

Are you able to use the Design Palette if you don't do any scrolling?  Or, does it tent to freeze after a certain period of time?  I'd like to know if the freeze is related to the scrolling, or if it's just happening regardless.

Yes i am able to use the palette if not scrolling. It is not freezing after a period of time.

Below are also some observations:

The palette will freeze if I:

• Select "System theme" from the combo box (the classic and flat works fine)
  • Maximize the palette

The palette will NOT freeze if a I scroll with a limited number of controls shown (for example when filtering to show only boolean controls)

• Like 1

Hmmm... it seems that it could be the system controls, or some control(s) in particular that might be causing the issue, once they appear on screen. Are you able to scroll all the way through the classic controls? All the way through the Flat UI controls?

it would be nice to know which control(s) cause the freeze and why. We have not seen this problem before.

thanks

On 8/10/2019 at 7:09 PM, Jim Kring said:

Hmmm... it seems that it could be the system controls, or some control(s) in particular that might be causing the issue, once they appear on screen. Are you able to scroll all the way through the classic controls? All the way through the Flat UI controls?

I suspected that but could not pinpoint which one could be causing the issue. I monitored the memory consumption to see if it is spiking during scrolling but it is not. 

I am not able to scroll all the way in neither classic nor Flat...

And out of no where, i am sometimes getting the error below (even when the design palette is not open). I guess the palette continuously check for communication with the server in the background for some reason.

Ali

2019-08-10_21-23-34.png

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Jim Kring said:

Hi @ammouri. Can you please try out the new 1.0.1 release and let us know if this resolves your issue.

Hi Jim

It seems that all the issues that I was facing were resolved in the new release. Well done.

An irrelevant question: would it be possible to add my own controls to the palette in a future revision?

Ali

15 minutes ago, ammouri said:

Hi Jim

It seems that all the issues that I was facing were resolved in the new release. Well done.

An irrelevant question: would it be possible to add my own controls to the palette in a future revision?

Ali

That's great to hear it's working well for you now! Thanks for the kind words.

Yes, you can add your own controls to the palette.

See here for all the details (and have fun!) 

Thanks Jim

I checked the link out and it worked. Here is how my library looks so far.

image.png.cb63af6caaa06db7dab9eaac26bd3ca2.png

Is there some kind of a command that I can type to refresh the existing controls after I drag new controls to my custom controls folder? I guess the app loads the directories when it loads with LabVIEW and i have to restart LabVIEW whenever i add a new control.

That's really cool @ammouri! Thanks for sharing a picture of your custom buttons theme!

Right now, the refreshing of the design palette isn't as great as it could be. You've got two options:

1) Restart LabVIEW, which will cause the Design Palette to reload all the controls.

2) Press Ctrl+R from within the Design Palette window to Refresh (re-initialize) the design palette -- note that this is not an official feature, but more of a developer-level feature that will most likely change in the future 🙂

Looking forward to seeing more of the controls you come up with!

21 minutes ago, Jim Kring said:

2) Press Ctrl+R from within the Design Palette window to Refresh (re-initialize) the design palette -- note that this is not an official feature, but more of a developer-level feature that will most likely change in the future 🙂

I knew there should be an alternative 🤓

• Like 1