Can't use the palette when VI is in provider context

Use case :

When working / debugging on a PreBuild or PostBuild action VI, I sometime keep the Pre/Post Build VI' FP & BD open for debugging in the context in which it was opened by LabVIEW when the build was started (NI.LV.MxLvProvider context instead of the usual main application context that you can see at the bottom left corner of the VI windows).

When I am in this context, if I open the JDP, try to drag a control onto the front panel of the VI that is in the NI.LV.MxLvProvider context it doesn't work

The work-around is to drag the control into another VI in the main app context, cut it and past it on the VI in the other context

Not a big problem because I rarely do UI in that context but thought I'd mention it anyway.

See video :

• Like 1

Hi Antoine. Thanks for reporting this. Yes, the Design Palette intentionally ignores VIs running in any NI.* context because these are typically VIs running as UIs for developer/IDE tools. I'm glad you have a work-around for this use case, since I'm not sure if we want to change this behavior, since it could have lots of negative side effects, yet we'll certainly keep this custom build actions use case in mind for the future.

• Upvote 1