Better Error Message

When I first tried to use VIPM 1.0 (quite a while ago), I got the message about having multiple versions of LabVIEW on the same port. I tried lots of things before the FAQ led me to the 127.0.0.1 hint Errror Code 1032 and NOT A BUG. In my case, my router had failed earlier and the replacement required a different assignment of static IP addressses to my local computers. These addresses had not been updated in VIPM, causing the error.

Any possibility of detecting this apparently somewhat common situation of an improper IP address assignment and changing the error message to reflect it? Or at least adding this possibility to the current error message?

Sorry to be so late reporting this, but I got distracted and forgot about it. The 1.1 beta notice jogged my memory.

When I first tried to use VIPM 1.0 (quite a while ago), I got the message about having multiple versions of LabVIEW on the same port. I tried lots of things before the FAQ led me to the 127.0.0.1 hint Errror Code 1032 and NOT A BUG. In my case, my router had failed earlier and the replacement required a different assignment of static IP addressses to my local computers. These addresses had not been updated in VIPM, causing the error.

Any possibility of detecting this apparently somewhat common situation of an improper IP address assignment and changing the error message to reflect it? Or at least adding this possibility to the current error message?

Sorry to be so late reporting this, but I got distracted and forgot about it. The 1.1 beta notice jogged my memory.

Hi Paul,

Thanks for the feedback. Solving Error 1032 is on our list for 1.1. We are attacking the problem on 3 fronts: 1) better error message with instructions, 2) test for the problem when testing the connection to LabVIEW, 3) automatically configure this setting in LabVIEW.

Thank you,

-Jim

Archived