Initial Experiences With Community Version

Hi All,

I thought I would start a thread about how the first experiences went with VIPM Community Version.

I downloaded the first day VIPM was available and installed the next. I only installed into LabVIEW 8.0.1 where there was no previous install of Commander. The install was error free and the initial check and install of all the available packages off the net went fine. The speed was very good. I did note that "Bird's Eye View" warned that a LabVIEW restart was required and there were a couple of packages that VIPM reported that it could not get off the remote servers. I'll try those again later.

I was very pleased. No errors or problems that I can find. All the new VIs appeared in the LV 8 menus on restart.

Great launch of a new product. I did try to reply here on the forums last night and could not, even after registering. Today I found that I could not yet register VIPM itself. I assume that will be functional very soon.

I also tried the VIPM >> Help >> Learn More About Enterprise Edition and them menu pick took me to the correct page but as I am sure many of you already found out, the Enterprise Edition is not only not out yet, but there is no information.

I would have liked to at least see a short list of some of the extra features that will be in Enterprise Edition as well as a rough idea when JKI is trying to launch that edition. Still, great launch.

Now we need to get more packages available, hmmm ...

Mike,

Thanks for taking the time to install and test VIPM. We are very happy that you've had a positive experience and that you are interested in Enterprise Edition and more packages. Rest assured that we are working very hard on exciting new developments and will keep everyone informed, when news is available.

Best Regards,

-Jim

I installed VIPM last night, and was impressed with the self extracting installer (written in LV!), the look / feel of the application and its abilities. I liked the ability for it to recognize packages that were upgrades, and only install the latest versions. I am running LV 7 on the machine I'm working on right now, but I plan to install VIPM on machines with 7, 7.1, and 8.0.1. I see that VIPM has the ability to load packages from disk, which is the way I have to load packages, since most of my work machines are not connected to the internet. My group has developed our own reuse library and we distribute them internally via OpenG Packages, so this tool will help us keep those packages up-to-date on all our machines. I also look forward to reading your blog posts on how you developed VIPM and how you used subversion and OpenG builder to make your job easier.

Thanks JKI :D Enjoy NI Week :D

I found the whole process very polished and easy to use. My only hang up was having to "register" LabVIEW with VIPM. I thought it was telling me to register with NI, not with the program. Once I figured that out, everything went fine.

Great job!

Derek

I installed VIPM last night, and was impressed with the self extracting installer (written in LV!), the look / feel of the application and its abilities. I liked the ability for it to recognize packages that were upgrades, and only install the latest versions. I am running LV 7 on the machine I'm working on right now, but I plan to install VIPM on machines with 7, 7.1, and 8.0.1. I see that VIPM has the ability to load packages from disk, which is the way I have to load packages, since most of my work machines are not connected to the internet. My group has developed our own reuse library and we distribute them internally via OpenG Packages, so this tool will help us keep those packages up-to-date on all our machines. I also look forward to reading your blog posts on how you developed VIPM and how you used subversion and OpenG builder to make your job easier.

Thanks JKI :D Enjoy NI Week :D

Chris,

Thanks for taking the time to get to know and use VIPM. We are happy that you have had a positive experience! If you are using your own VI Packages, then you will want to keep an eye out for VIPM Enterprise Edition. This will provide support for connecting to your organization's networked package repository, as well as other power features like configuration management. Stay tuned :-)

Regards,

-Jim

I found the whole process very polished and easy to use. My only hang up was having to "register" LabVIEW with VIPM. I thought it was telling me to register with NI, not with the program. Once I figured that out, everything went fine.

Great job!

Derek

Derek,

Thank you for the feedback! Other's, too, have commented about the fact that the term "register", with respect to registering LabVIEW versions with VIPM, is a little confusing. We'll see if we can remedy this, in the future.

Thank you,

-Jim

If you are using your own VI Packages, then you will want to keep an eye out for VIPM Enterprise Edition. This will provide support for connecting to your organization's networked package repository, as well as other power features like configuration management. Stay tuned :-)

Jim,

What protocol(s) will my networked package repository need to be running to have the enterprise edition access its packages?

Thanks,

Chris

Jim,

What protocol(s) will my networked package repository need to be running to have the enterprise edition access its packages?

Thanks,

Chris

Chris,

We have the capability to support a variety of protocols, such as UNC path, local path, ftp, and http/https (with or without password authentication). I would be happy to discuss your organization's specific needs, off-line - please send us an inquiry via our contact form.

Thank you,

-Jim

Archived