Uninstalling packages with dependencies

Jason D.

If you try to uninstall a package, the default is "include dependencies" and all the related packages are checked. I assume this would break many of the other packages one might be keeping. I would suggest keeping the dependencies unchecked by default for uninstall operations.

If you try to uninstall a package, the default is "include dependencies" and all the related packages are checked. I assume this would break many of the other packages one might be keeping. I would suggest keeping the dependencies unchecked by default for uninstall operations.

Hi Jason,

Actually, uninstalling all the dependants (recursively) ensures that packages are not broken, after the uninstallation step. For example, assume that you have packages A, B, and C installed. And, assume that package A requires package B. If I try to uninstall B, then VIPM will tell me that I should also uninstall package A (since A depends on B). After I proceed, uninstalling A and B, I am left with package C installed. Package C has no dependencies on A or B, so it is fully working, after the uninstallation of A and B.

Thanks,

-Jim

Archived