How to run as admin

turbophil

Constantly running into issues with VIPM failing to install packages with error 8 messages. Seems like it needs to run as admin. Attempts to run VIPM as admin don't appear to work because it seems that now there is a lot of bootstrapping goin on (the main VIPM executable is launched via some background service and/or file browser helper utility?).

Is there a set of streamlined instructions on how we can consistently get this tool to work? 

To be clear. Attempting to run

C:\Program Files (x86)\JKI\VI Package Manager\VI Package Manager.exe 

as admin doesn't appear to work. The application never starts up. Presumably because now it is intended to be launched via some helper (perhaps it needs arguments?). 

I managed to make VIPM usable on my personal machine by setting the main VIPM executable *always* run as admin, but that means I'm greeted with an annoying prompt every time I run it (or restart LabVIEW). 

I'm trying to set up machines for our CI process, and they need VI packages installed to build some of our applications, and installations are failing due to this error 8 stuff. I can't set those to always run VIPM as admin, since I can't have them popping up dialogs every time LabVIEW is restarted.

It appears I need to do the following:

• Kill the entire process tree for VIPM in task manager/process explorer
  • Run VI Package Manager.exe as admin
  • Then, after the splash screen, the window disappears, but the process is apparently still running
  • Attempt to open a *.vip file, or in some other way try to force the main VIPM window to open
  • Attempt to install packages

I only appear to have about a 50% success rate with this series of actions. But if I go through the motions several times, I can usually eventually get it working. Would be nice if the basic functionality worked out of the box.

Hi @turbophil.

Thanks for reporting this and sorry for the troubles.

Some thoughts and ideas:

1) If the Error 8 issue is happening as a result of files in the cache folder (C:\ProgramData\JKI\VIPM\cache), then the best solution seems to be deleting those files.

Please see this Knowledge Base entry.

[18852] Cannot Install Package (Error 8: Open/Create/Replace File related to a package spec file)

2) We've been working on the issue with the VIPM process staying in memory. Please check if you're using the latest public build, since that has some fixes that have helped other users.

3) We have a 2020 SP3 (2020.3) that we're working on that may resolve your issue. If you're interested in helping us test this, let me know.

Thanks again for your patience and taking the time to document what's been working and not. Hopefully, we'll get this working for you.

-Jim

PS - When VIPM process is still in memory, it may be the case that the VIPM System Tray (show below) is running. When the System Tray is running, the "VI Package Manager.exe" process stays in memory and opens faster when VIP and other files are double-clicked. However, some users (like you) have reported issues with this not working well for them. The new 2020 SP3 aims to fix this.

image.png