[WORKAROUND] What is error 8?

chrisdavis

Like the title says, what is error 8? I get this error when installing a package that I recently added file to. I don't know if there is something wrong with the package or VIPM.

Chris,

Thank you for reporting this problem. Hopefully we can get to the bottom of it.

Error 8 is a file permission error. Also, I need some more insight into what you mean when you say "installing a package that I recently added file to"? Did you add new VIs/files to the package (.ogp) file or that you added VIs/files into the installed location (such as the palette-sync'ed folders beneath user.lib)? Also please take a look inside "C:\Program Files\JKI\VI Package Manager\error\" for more error details.

Thank you,

-Jim

Chris,

Thank you for reporting this problem. Hopefully we can get to the bottom of it.

Error 8 is a file permission error. Also, I need some more insight into what you mean when you say "installing a package that I recently added file to"? Did you add new VIs/files to the package (.ogp) file or that you added VIs/files into the installed location (such as the palette-sync'ed folders beneath user.lib)? Also please take a look inside "C:\Program Files\JKI\VI Package Manager\error\" for more error details.

Thank you,

-Jim

I added a new VI to an existing .ogp file.

I looked in the directory you mentioned and found a couple of files, but neither one seemed to be related to my particular package. I've attached them for your information.

FYI, my machine is stand-alone, so there is no way for it to connect to the internet.

I spent some more time yesterday working on this problem after I reported this bug, and I believed I had it solved. Then I made a change to the "new VI", and recreated the package and this error occured again.

I can email you the ogp file if it would help debug what is going on.

BTW, I'm using beta 1 of VIPM at this point. I plan on upgrading soon.

Thanks,

Chris

September_05_2006.txt

September_06_2006.txt

I added a new VI to an existing .ogp file.

I looked in the directory you mentioned and found a couple of files, but neither one seemed to be related to my particular package. I've attached them for your information.

FYI, my machine is stand-alone, so there is no way for it to connect to the internet.

I spent some more time yesterday working on this problem after I reported this bug, and I believed I had it solved. Then I made a change to the "new VI", and recreated the package and this error occured again.

I can email you the ogp file if it would help debug what is going on.

BTW, I'm using beta 1 of VIPM at this point. I plan on upgrading soon.

Thanks,

Chris

Chris,

Yes, please open a support ticket, here, and then we can look into the specifics of your problem.

Thank you,

-Jim

Chris,

The problem was caused by one of the files inside the package having a read-only attribute, which was preventing it from being installed correctly -- this is a bug, and an internal report has been created (Case 2548).

As a work-around, you should remove all read-only attributes from files, before they are packaged.

Thank you,

-Jim

Archived