Installing VIPM on Vista?

TobyD

I was eager to get up and coding on my new Vista laptop, but I noticed the System Req for VIPM say WinXP. Has anyone tried it on Vista? It seems as though it should work since it is a LabVIEW app right?!? Running LabVIEW Pro 8.2.1.

Thanks!

We have done some minimal testing on the VISTA beta. We were able to install and run VIPM with administrator privileges. I'm not sure, but with the final release of VISTA, you may be able to install without running as administrator. We'll do some more testing and get back to you, shortly.

Also, you might want to simply try testing it yourself. If it is not working when installed+run normally then try installing+running with administrator privileges.

Thanks,

-Jim

Also, you might want to simply try testing it yourself. If it is not working when installed+run normally then try installing+running with administrator privileges.

I gave it a shot. The first attempt failed with the error message shown below. When I clicked on the "Why not Found?" button I got a message that essentially said that Windows had detected an incompatibility with the program and that it would be run in compatibility mode the next time it was run. So...I ran it again. Windows popped up a dialog box requiring admin rights and as soon as I gave it my password it installed and seems to be running fine. I am installing the packages now.

Thanks for a great product!

-Toby

VPIM_Vista_Install_Error.jpg

Toby,

Thanks for taking the time to test the VISTA installation and provide us with your experience. I'm happy to hear that you've gotten to the point where you're installing packages -- that's great news!

If you have any more issues or experiences using VIPM in VISTA, please post them to this thread -- that's valueable feedback for JKI as well as the VIPM user community.

BTW, our testing team is provisioning a VISTA system right now for doing some detailed tests. Hopefully we can resolve the one hiccup that you experienced -- I'm thinking that there's got to be a way to launch an EXE from the command-line in compatibility mode by using some special command/switch.

Thanks again,

-Jim

UPDATE: I just looked online and it appears that you can include a "manifest file" (a special XML file) along with an executable that contains information telling VISTA about your executable and how it needs to be run. We should be able to create a manifest file for each of the EXEs that tells VISTA to run them in Windows XP compatibility mode.

• 3 years later...

Archived