Transfering Packages to Non internet computers.

Mark Balla

I work on several machines that will never be connected to the internet.

So I am wondering how I can transfer my packages to these computers.

For OpenG Commander I could take the cache folder and put it in with a new instalation.

Is it the same for VIPM or does the database folder hold the information now.

For OpenG Commander I could take the cache folder and put it in with a new instalation.

I've safely transferred packages from a Commander cache folder and read them in using VIPM on computers not connected to the internet. This is how I get the latest versions of the OpenG packages.

Mark,

As Chris mentioned, you can simply copy the cache folder contents (from a Commander or VIPM installation) to another VIPM installation's cache folder. Another option is to use the Package >> Add Package(s) to Package List, menu option to add a folder of packages into VIPM's package list.

Please note, that we are actively working on features to make it easier to import package configurations onto non-networked VIPM installations.

Thank you,

-Jim

• 1 year later...
Mark,

As Chris mentioned, you can simply copy the cache folder contents (from a Commander or VIPM installation) to another VIPM installation's cache folder. Another option is to use the Package >> Add Package(s) to Package List, menu option to add a folder of packages into VIPM's package list.

Please note, that we are actively working on features to make it easier to import package configurations onto non-networked VIPM installations.

Thank you,

-Jim

Sorry to open such an old thread but my question is very related to you comment above and I just wanted to check something. It is more a confirmation that I have got thinks correct

In the VIPM cache there are three files per package for example

palette-1.2-1.spec

palette-1.2-1.ogp

palette-1.2-1.bmp

so to move packages to a non networked PC we can

a) copy over the contents of the C:\Program Files\JKI\VI Package Manager\cache from one machine to another, thus copying over all three files the *.opg *.bmp *.spec

or we can

/;) we can place the *.ogp package only on the PC some where and use the Add package to list options you mentioned above. In this situation is the *.bmp & *.spec file pulled out from the *.ogp file ?

cheers

Danny

Sorry to open such an old thread but my question is very related to you comment above and I just wanted to check something. It is more a confirmation that I have got thinks correct

In the VIPM cache there are three files per package for example

palette-1.2-1.spec

palette-1.2-1.ogp

palette-1.2-1.bmp

so to move packages to a non networked PC we can

a) copy over the contents of the C:\Program Files\JKI\VI Package Manager\cache from one machine to another, thus copying over all three files the *.opg *.bmp *.spec

or we can

/;) we can place the *.ogp package only on the PC some where and use the Add package to list options you mentioned above. In this situation is the *.bmp & *.spec file pulled out from the *.ogp file ?

cheers

Danny

OK,

I have do a little playing around and have answered my own question. I am happy that the ogp package must contain the *.bmp and *.spec files and I would only need to copy over the *.ogp if I was going to then use the Add Package facility

cheers

Danny

OK,

I have do a little playing around and have answered my own question. I am happy that the ogp package must contain the *.bmp and *.spec files and I would only need to copy over the *.ogp if I was going to then use the Add Package facility

cheers

Danny

Hi Danny,

I'm glad you were able to figure this out. Yes, the Add Package is the preferred way to add packages to your package list. However, another great way of achieving this is to use a VI Package Configuration file.

-Jim

Archived