VIPM for LabVIEW toolkit support?

Can the VIPM be used to provide access to LabVIEW toolkits under various versions of LabVIEW. In other words, I have the Database toolkit and the NI Vision toolkit installed under LabVIEW 7.1 but not under LabVIEW 8.2. I'd like to have these available on the pallete for 8.2. It seems that the VIPM would be an ideal way to manage this. Can it be done?

Chuck Lippmeier

Can the VIPM be used to provide access to LabVIEW toolkits under various versions of LabVIEW. In other words, I have the Database toolkit and the NI Vision toolkit installed under LabVIEW 7.1 but not under LabVIEW 8.2. I'd like to have these available on the pallete for 8.2. It seems that the VIPM would be an ideal way to manage this. Can it be done?

Chuck Lippmeier

Hi Chuck,

Yes VIPM can be used to install toolkits on multiple LabVIEW versions. Let me explain...

NI generally proposes that you can install a toolkit on multiple LabVIEW versions by copying the toolkit's vi.lib\addons components (as well as examples and some other files installed beneath the LabVIEW root) into other LabVIEW development environment installations. VIPM can certainly automate this task.

Please see the attached file (create_package_nilib_database.zip) -- it contains everything you need to create a package of the NI Database Toolkit v1.0.1.

NOTE: The NI toolkit packages that you create are for your own personal use and must not be redistributed to others. It is your responsibility to abide by the terms of the NI Software agreement. This technique is used to automate the instructions provided by NI for installing toolkits (that you have legally licensed) on multiple LabVIEW versions.

Thanks,

-Jim

create_package_nilib_database.zip

Instructions for creating an *.ogp package file of the NI Database Toolkit v1.0.1, which can be installed using VI Package Manager (http://jkisoft.com/vipm/).

1) Install the OpenG Package Builder (ogrsc_package_builder) package, version 0.1.0alpha6 or later.

2) Install the NI Database Toolkit version 1.0.1 on LabVIEW 6.1 (or the lowest LabVIEW version you have installed).

3) Open and run "nilib_database-1.0.1.vi" in the same LabVIEW version on which you just installed the NI Database Toolkit version 1.0.1. This will create a package, "nilib_database-1.0.1-1.ogp", in the same directory as "nilib_database-1.0.1.vi".

Archived