Bug: Downloading packages on a computer that does not have LabVIEW installed

chrisdavis

Jim,

This doesn't seem to be working for me, I can't get past this screen, and its not listing or downloading anything into my cache directory. I've got the check box you mentioned unchecked, but no luck.

Chris,

Are you able to execute a Check Network for Available Packages from the toolbar (see button, below)?

check_network.png

Also, have you tried using the Check For Package Updates on Startup options setting (and then restart VIPM)?

check_for_updates_on_startup.png

Please let me know if either of these work for you -- they should cause the package list to be downloaded into VIPM, so that you can see and then download the latest packages.

Thank you,

Chris,

Are you able to execute a Check Network for Available Packages from the toolbar (see button, below)?

check_network.png

No, the only way I'm able to execute this command is from the tools menu... side note, if the button on screen is disabled, shouldn't the menu item be disabled?

Also, have you tried using the Check For Package Updates on Startup options setting (and then restart VIPM)?

check_for_updates_on_startup.png

Please let me know if either of these work for you -- they should cause the package list to be downloaded into VIPM, so that you can see and then download the latest packages.

Thank you,

I've got both of those boxes checked, and the first time I performed a "Check Network for Avaliable Packages", I got a listing of several packages that should be downloaded, VIPM just gave me an error when it couldn't find my LabView directory. Now I've unregistered all my copies of LabView, and VIPM won't download the packages to be moved to another machine.

No, the only way I'm able to execute this command is from the tools menu... side note, if the button on screen is disabled, shouldn't the menu item be disabled?

I've got both of those boxes checked, and the first time I performed a "Check Network for Avaliable Packages", I got a listing of several packages that should be downloaded, VIPM just gave me an error when it couldn't find my LabView directory. Now I've unregistered all my copies of LabView, and VIPM won't download the packages to be moved to another machine.

Hi Chris,

Thank you for your hard work in testing this. To be honest, this use case (no LabVIEW version installed) it a bit of a corner case and has not tested as thoroughly as typical usage. However, we fully intend to resolve this, as your situation is not uncommon and is necessary for users who are behind firewalls and working with non-networked computers. I'll keep you posted.

Thanks,

-Jim

Hi Chris,

Thank you for your hard work in testing this. To be honest, this use case (no LabVIEW version installed) it a bit of a corner case and has not tested as thoroughly as typical usage. However, we fully intend to resolve this, as your situation is not uncommon and is necessary for users who are behind firewalls and working with non-networked computers. I'll keep you posted.

Thanks,

-Jim

Thanks for trying to help, I'll just have to stick to downloading the packages from sourceforge directly, or someother method to try and get new packages as they are released.

Chris

Thanks for trying to help, I'll just have to stick to downloading the packages from sourceforge directly, or someother method to try and get new packages as they are released.

Chris

Chris,

I've spoken to you off-line about the VIPM 1.1 beta, but I'll restate myself here so that others can benefit from the info. We are actively working on VIPM 1.1 and the beta will be starting soon. If you're interested in helping test these new features (and possibly get early access to bug fixes to issues such as this one) please let us know and we'll keep you in the loop about the beta.

Thanks,

-Jim

• 11 months later...
Jim,

This doesn't seem to be working for me, I can't get past this screen, and its not listing or downloading anything into my cache directory. I've got the check box you mentioned unchecked, but no luck.

Hi Chris,

This has been fixed in VIPM 1.1. Thanks for your patience and feedback.

-Jim

PS - I split this thread from original topic, since the tip is now working.

Archived