Sign in to follow this  
chrisdavis

Install all openG packages for all versions of LabView

Regarding the tip, Sorting Packages by Status (Glyph), what if I want to install/upgrade all openG packages for all versions of LabView that I have registered... I think I still have to do that by manually stepping through each version of LabView I have registered. Not to big a deal with one version of LabView installed, but with 4 to 5 versions, it becomes tedious. Not complaining, just a thought for a new feature.

Lovin version 1.0!

Ah, but what if I want to install/upgrade all openG packages for all versions of LabView that I have registered... I think I still have to do that by manually stepping through each version of LabView I have registered. Not to big a deal with one version of LabView installed, but with 4 to 5 versions, it becomes tedious. Not complaining, just a thought for a new feature.

Lovin version 1.0!

Chris,

You're absolutely right. It is a bit of a pain to upgrade a single package on multiple versions of LabVIEW. This is a really valid use case and we've definitly got it on our list of things to address. The way that I deal with this is to leave VIPM open all the time and use VIPM to launch LabVIEW (I switch/restart versions of LabVIEW frequently). After LabVIEW starts I then select Package>>Upgrade All Installed Packages... (from VIPM's menu) to make sure that I've got the latest and greatest packages installed on the LabVIEW version that I just launched.

We're happy to hear you love 1.0. We're working hard on the next release which should give you more reasons to love VIPM ;-)

Thank you,

-Jim

After LabVIEW starts I then select Package>>Upgrade All Installed Packages... (from VIPM's menu) to make sure that I've got the latest and greatest packages installed on the LabVIEW version that I just launched.

Jim,

I hadn't seen that one in the menu system, next time I'm working with VIPM I'll try it.

Thanks!

I hadn't seen that one in the menu system, next time I'm working with VIPM I'll try it.

That's good feedback (that you hadn't noticed this feature). I'll create a new Tips and Tricks topic describing this feature.

Thanks,

-Jim

I would just like it open this idea back up. It seems since VIPM 2010 came out, a lot of people are suddenly redistributing their tools with VIPM as apposed to telling people to put this directory in this location (thanks to being able to build packages with the community version). So I am installing the packages with VIPM, but I have to install each new tool on one LabVIEW version at a time. It installs fast enough that it isn't a huge deal, but it is annoying. There really should be an option for a package to install/uninstall all applicable LabVIEW versions.

Just trying to make a great product better.

I would just like it open this idea back up. It seems since VIPM 2010 came out, a lot of people are suddenly redistributing their tools with VIPM as apposed to telling people to put this directory in this location (thanks to being able to build packages with the community version). So I am installing the packages with VIPM, but I have to install each new tool on one LabVIEW version at a time. It installs fast enough that it isn't a huge deal, but it is annoying. There really should be an option for a package to install/uninstall all applicable LabVIEW versions.

Just trying to make a great product better.

That's a good suggestion. We will consider it for a future release.