Why am I asked to save 92 (OpenG?) VIs?

Bob Schor

I'm designing a data-acquisition system, and want to use XML (and EasyXML) for writing a "header file" that describes the accompanying data files. I just built a VI that writes a simplified header -- it builds a cluster of information, uses EasyGenerate to create an XML string, then writes this to a (binary) file (along with an EOL).

If I start LabVIEW, run my VIs and generate a data file, then try to close the Front Panel, I get a dialog box that says something like "1D Array to String_ogtk.vi has unsaved changes", and asks me to save it and 92 other VIs. Mind you, I haven't "edited" anything, I've only run an existing VI (and, of course, its sub-VIs). Most of the VIs are part of OpenG packages, though some have pretty obscure names such as 03EE2D0991E864B14FDA7E7EF60E813D. My temptation is to say "No", but I don't want to "not save" a routine that "belongs to me" that I should be saving. On the other hand, if I say "Yes", am I inappropriately trying to modify OpenG code (and EasyXML routines) that should be "left alone"? And why am I being asked to save if I'm only running a VI?

This behavior only happened when I began to actually use EasyXML. While writing this message, I opened the "Initialize Header" VI that contains the EasyGenerate VI, and received a partial answer to the final question in the preceding paragraph -- simply opening this VI puts an asterisk after its name, implying that it has been "edited" and prompted a "Save?" question on closing. Incidently, these VIs are inside a LV Project, and were opened from Project Manager. However, opening them "stand-alone" with no open Project has the same effect, namely the file with the EasyXML VI opens already "asterisked", prompting a call to save 93 VIs.

The XML toolkit uses a lot of OpenG VIs, these VIs are saved initially in LabVIEW 6.1, if you use the toolkit these VIs are compiled into your LabVIEW version. You should save these VIs to avoid compiling every time you open up your application. This is a huge speed benefit.

Have fun using OpenG,

Ton

OpenG developer

The XML toolkit uses a lot of OpenG VIs, these VIs are saved initially in LabVIEW 6.1, if you use the toolkit these VIs are compiled into your LabVIEW version. You should save these VIs to avoid compiling every time you open up your application. This is a huge speed benefit.

Have fun using OpenG,

Ton

OpenG developer

Makes sense -- I've "broken down" and done the "Save All" a few times, and now it doesn't ask me anymore! I keep forgetting that LabVIEW is "version-dependent" ...

BS

Makes sense -- I've "broken down" and done the "Save All" a few times, and now it doesn't ask me anymore! I keep forgetting that LabVIEW is "version-dependent" ...

Hi Bob,

I'm glad you got this worked out (and thanks, Ton, for the quick answer).

Also, it's on our road map to have VIPM automatically recompile and save the VIs when they are installed. This would mean that you'd never see this sort of situation.

Thanks,

-Jim

Archived