Make info dialog box non-modal

Daklu

I often use the info box to review all the different packages that are available, but since it is modal I can't select the packages I'm interested in installing. I either have to remember the ones I want or close the box, select a package, and reopen the box.

How about making the info dialog non-modal so I can switch between that and the main application window so I can select interesting packages as I find them? Or include an checkbox in the info dialog allowing me to select/de-select packages from there instead of the main app window?

Hi Daklu,

You've identified a couple great use cases:

1) select a list of packages and then review each of their details

2) browse the package details and add them to a list of VIs "to be installed" (almost like an installation "shopping cart")

You're right that it might work well to make the Package Information dialog non-modal to make it easier to browse packages. One trick that you can use to reduce the number of mouse clicks is to use the Escape key to close the Package Info dialog (rather than using your mouse to press the Close Window or Done buttons).

Another way we might (some day) be able to achieve use case #1 is to allow you to select several packages and then select Package>>Get Info from the menubar (or right-click on the package and choose Get Info). Currently, the Get Info menu items are disabled when you have more than one package selected. I'm not sure how difficult this would be to implement, but I don't think it would be too hard.

One way that you could achieve both use cases #1 and #2 right now (if you have VIPM Professional) would be to open the VI Package Configuration Editor and drag and drop packages from VIPM into the VI Package Configuration. Then you could double-click on a package in the VI Package Configuration editor and click Next to cycle through each of the packages in your configuration. You could easily remove VI Packages from your configuration, if you don't want them. When you are ready to install, you can Apply your VI Package Configuration to install all of the packages listed in the VI Package Configuration.

Thanks for the great feedback. Also, if you want to evaluate VIPM Professional, feel free to contact us. We'd be happy to set you up with an evaluation license.

Thank you,

-Jim

Archived