Jump to content
Matthew Harrison

Error adding packages to list under Vista SP1

Recommended Posts

I have had VIPM working fine under Vista for several months, but recently I have started to have a problem where I cannot add any new packages. Whenever I try, I get an error message "There was an error adding packages to the package list." I'm correlating this with an automatic update to SP1, but I suppose that I'm not positive that is the problem because I don't use VIPM every day. I'm not aware of anything else that has changed on my computer except these automatic updates since I knew it was working.

 

I have tried completely uninstalling and reinstalling VIPM, but that didn't seem to make any difference. I have also verified the permissions for the JKI directory. I also tried installing and running with "Run as Administrator." I notice that when I check the network for available packages, I see all the .bmp and .spec files added into the cache directory. Also, I see .pdi2 files added to the LV 8.x directories in "databases" when I try to add packages. The point at which I get errors always seems to be the point where an .ogp file would normally be unzipped, or at least opened and read. I've double checked that nothing is read-only, and it seems like permissions should be allowed to everything that I can think of.

 

An error log file is created, which I've attached.

 

I'm really not sure what else to try at this point, but I've really come to depend on VIPM, so I'd love to get it working again.

October_28_2008.txt

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It looks like I solved my particular problem, although I don't have a perfect root cause analysis.

 

It appears that VIPM must be able to write various files to the Temp directory. I don't think that there was a permission problem, but somehow it was failing to overwrite some file that already existed. Unfortunately, I'm not sure how that bad file got there or why VIPM could not overwrite it. If I get more information, I'll post again. For my purposes, I solved the problem by blowing out the entire Temp directory, and verifying that it was not write only.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
It looks like I solved my particular problem, although I don't have a perfect root cause analysis.

 

It appears that VIPM must be able to write various files to the Temp directory. I don't think that there was a permission problem, but somehow it was failing to overwrite some file that already existed. Unfortunately, I'm not sure how that bad file got there or why VIPM could not overwrite it. If I get more information, I'll post again. For my purposes, I solved the problem by blowing out the entire Temp directory, and verifying that it was not write only.

 

Hi Matthew,

 

First, I'm sorry that it took so long to respond. I was traveling to the Boston NITS event when you posted.

 

I'm happy to hear that you got it working. There are a couple possible "root causes":

 

1) It might have been a permissions issue with files/folders in the Temp directory

 

2) It might have been that there were files in the Temp directory that were "in the way" and even though VIPM had permission to delete them, it wasn't trying to delete them before writing.

 

If the problem was #2, then this might affect all users -- not just Vista. I'll take a look under the hood and see if I can find anything that looks suspect.

 

Thanks,

 

-Jim

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.