Problems when installing packages that use post-install scripts

Daklu

I've been experimenting with OGPB and building packages using a postinstall script. There seems to be some quirkiness when installing these packages but unfortunately I can't narrow it down any more than that right now--somewhere along the way something became corrupted and I can no longer install any packages that uses a postinstall script, including ogrsc_dynamicpalette.

By watching the VIPM status bar closely I can see the vis are being extracted and for a split second I can see some vis are being replaced. Immediately following that "Uninstalling <something>" appears in the status bar very briefly and all the files just installed have been deleted.

I've included the text of the error code below. In the meantime I'll try reinstalling LV and see if that solves the immediate problem.

Error Text

========= START of VIPM Error Message =========

An internal VIPM Error has occured on: Tuesday December 09, 2008 at 04:15:00 PM

= Automated Message Start =

Error 7 occurred at Get File Size in

4A9EADB12D85602702B014FFA149C099.lvlib:E58007D8CDD9B380F9E708A4DA17CFE1->4A9EADB12D85602702B014FFA14

9C099.lvlib:5B7A384030B242299059CB12A19655D8->4A9EADB12D85602702B014FFA149C099.lvlib:79D0103627FA9CA

9CBBAF8DA6F94B3ED->F7926906AD43D9BBDAE4777C9B18C4A7->VIPM Main Window.vi

Possible reason(s):

LabVIEW: File not found. The file might have been moved or deleted, or the file path might be

incorrectly formatted for the operating system. For example, use \ as path separators on Windows, :

on Mac OS, and / on Linux. Verify that the path is correct using the command prompt or file

explorer.

=========================

NI-488: Nonexistent GPIB interface.

= Automated Message End =

= Call Chain Start =

VIPM Main Window.vi

= Call Chain End =

========= END of VIPM Error Message =========

I'm sorry to hear about the trouble. I haven't ever seen anything like this, before. Yes, please let us know if reinstalling LabVIEW or VIPM fixes the problem. I suspect that one of your install scripts might have tweaked your system somehow.

Rats. I was hoping you could decode the error message and at least point me in the direction of the problem. <_<

I removed all packages, uninstalled VIPM, removed all "jki" registry entries I could find, deleted the JKI folder in Program Files, and did a Labview repair installation. After rebooting I reinstalled VIPM with a fresh download and tried to reinstall the dynamic palette package. It failed with the same symptoms.

The package was already installed on LV 8.2 and 8.5, but of course since I deleted all the VIPM data none of the packages showed as being installed for those versions either. I saw the same failure when I tried to 'install' the package for both of those versions.

That the problem persisted through a complete VIPM reinstall implies an error in a Labview library, but persisting across all Labview versions implies an error in VIPM. I guess a complete NI uninstall and reinstall is next...

Update

I completely uninstalled VIPM and all NI products and deleted the folders left in Program Files. Rebooted and reinstalled everything from scratch. Still can't install ogrsc_dynamic palette. (nirsc_html_help_common failed as well.) Any other ideas?

I noticed VIPM isn't showing up in the Add/Remove programs applet. I did remove any "JKI" and "VIPM" registry references I could find during one of my early troubleshooting sessions. It's certainly possible I missed one or more. If during installation VIPM finds a pre-existing registry entry, does it cancel all remaining registry entries assuming they are present as well? If so, does the post-install scripting ability rely on a registry entry that, if missing, would abort/revert the installation?

Can you tell me if VIPM has any other external dependencies? I can always dig them out and reinstall them. Are there particular LV settings that must be configured, aside from the VI Server options? I'm willing to try almost any ideas you have. (Can't flatten my hard drive...) I've been converting my reuse code into packages and this issue puts a big kink in that idea.

I do have a workaround; I edited both of the guilty packages and renamed PostInstall.vi to _PostInstall.vi. That allows VIPM to install them. However, it's not clear to me how not running the packages' postinstall script affects their operation. Since my packages will ultimately need postinstall scripts the workaround doesn't address the main problem.

One thing that might be causing the is LabVIEW's VI Server Settings -- these settings need to be set up right, for proper use with VIPM. Here is the documentation on this: http://www.jkisoft.com/vipm/docs/2.0/labview8x.htm Specifically, make sure that you're able to call VIs (the "VI calls" setting).

Also, (and not to rub salt in the wounds) we can provide much more in-depth support on these types of issues for customers with a support subscription.

Also, (and not to rub salt in the wounds) we can provide much more in-depth support on these types of issues for customers with a support subscription.

I completely understand not being able to devote a lot of time assisting a non-paying customer... bills still have to be paid. I blame my PHB.

The good news is after spending some quality time with Process Monitor and a test installation package I was able to figure out the problem. I started a new thread with a title that describes the issue better.

I completely understand not being able to devote a lot of time assisting a non-paying customer... bills still have to be paid. I blame my PHB.

The good news is after spending some quality time with Process Monitor and a test installation package I was able to figure out the problem. I started a new thread with a title that describes the issue better.

Thanks for your time spent debugging this. I'll take a look at the other thread.

Archived